23 October 2007

Literary Leanings



I have both my B.A. and M.A. in English and have been an avid reader all my life. I love books as objects as well. I collect old books (I have about ten different editions of Jane Eyre alone) and find myself drawn to colorful, vintage covers--- especially with my growing interest in graphic design and printmaking.

These are two of my favorite covers, from the first editions of J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Not only did both these books change the way I think about the world, but the design of each cover is lovely to consider.

I was also thrilled to stumble upon Kate Spade's "An Argument for Looking at Books Instead of Reading Them," an online collection of fabulous book covers from the 1950s and 60s. You can even download gorgeous book covers like the one below.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online