16 May 2008

Illustrator: Gyo Fujikawa

{Photo provided by tanjarina}

A few months ago I was visiting my mother when she pulled out a favorite childhood book of mine, Come Follow Me. Published in 1982 and gorgeously illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa, I couldn't help but look at the book with new eyes--- the woodsy setting, stylized flowers, little owls and children, and color schemes all seem so "now."

I'm actually scoping the internet for two used copies of the book (currently out-of-print). I'd love one in my library to keep on hand for inspiration (and I have specific plans to be revealed later), but I'd love another copy to mat and frame some of the favorite illustrations.

Once I get my hands on one, I'll scan a few images. I think the one above is actually from a different book, and the illustrations I remember are a bit softer and more ethereal. They're worth coming back for, I promise!

Craft note: This Japanese website has at least one embroidery design based on Fujikawa's illustrations. At least that's what I think. I can't read Japanese.

2 comments:

ThePeachTree said...

Ooo, how intriguing and magical :)

DJ said...

What a beautiful book, I love children's books with a woodland/fairy theme!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online