06 August 2008

Wondermark

If you haven't noticed already, a lot of my Gocco work uses Victorian engravings and other images with a nineteenth-century feel. I do this for several reasons. First, my drawing skills have fallen by the wayside since high school (I'm trying to get them back). Second, these images are old enough to be public domain, are copyright free, and allow me to manipulate the original image in Photoshop, add my own text or other images, and print and sell the end result on Etsy. But the motivation isn't purely mercenary--- a few years ago, I was pursuing a PhD in Victorian literature and was convinced I would spend the rest of my days in that fabulous ivory tower, reading the Bronte sisters and writing fascinating literary criticism.

Plans certainly changed, and I'm all the happier for it, but I'm still drawn to the Victorian aesthetic, even if it is becoming less trendy.
Someone recently referred me to Wondermark, comics by David Malki that use nineteenth-century engravings. I love his quirky sense of humor and thought I'd share some here ( I recommend clicking on the comics to enlarge and going directly to his site for more readable clips). Hope you enjoy them as much I as do.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online