08 December 2008

Big Thing No. 2

Remember Big Thing No. 1? Well, here is Big Thing No. 2. It is sitting in the late morning light of my studio in all it's antique glory--- a Baltimore #11 letterpress, over 100 years old. And actually, "big thing" may be a bit of a misnomer. The #11 is quite small for a letterpress, and I'll be starting by printing things like gift tags, calling cards, and little 4bar notes.

I took a wonderful letterpress and bookbinding class at Albertine Press over a year ago and fell in love with the letterpress process. The idea of procuring a press and the necessary equipment, though, seemed way too intimidating--- until the demise of Gocco. In a way, the closing of one door motivated me to open another. Billy kept encouraging me to get one, and when you are lucky enough to have someone that supportive, what can you do but listen? I'm so very, very excited to begin exploring letterpress with my sweet new little machine.

(If you are unfamiliar with letterpress, this short letterpress documentary is worth watching.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh! congrats on the new 'baby' and thank you for this post. i love the way letterpress looks but am unfamiliar with the process and so am grateful for the link. can't wait to see what treasures you'll make.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! I can't wait to see what new goodies you come up with.

Forever Foxed said...

How exciting! I've just bought an Adana 8x5 letterpress and I can't wait to start experimenting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online