23 July 2008

Sunprint Tutorial

We've been in Albuquerque for a little over two weeks now. The adrenaline has worn off and I'm starting to feel nervous, homesick, and unsettled, even though I like it here. The other difficulty is that while we're staying with family, I don't have a dedicated place to work and make a mess.

I've posted earlier about Victorian cyanotypes, and decided that today was the perfect day to dig out my Sunprint Paper Kit because it was a low-maintenance project I could play with a little. I thought I'd post a tutorial here, since it's a little project with a lot of possibilities.

Chesney and I went for a walk through the neighborhood, and I gathered some interesting leaves and plants. You could also use flat objects like lace or black and white photo negatives.
Next, you want to remove a sheet of sunprint paper and make your arrangement. You need to work fairly quickly, even indoors, in order to avoid overexposing the paper. Place the acrylic sheet on top and expose in the sun for one to five minutes (in sunny Albuquerque it took about 30 seconds).
Then, remove the acrylic and arrangement, and rinse the paper in water for about one minute. A large baking pan is the perfect size. Remove the paper and dry flat.
I made a total of six prints in all today, which are still drying. I'll share the final results later and possible plans for what I'm going to do with them.

10 comments:

HISTORIAS DE ESTA VIDA X JMEC............... said...

SUERTE CON LAS HOJAS.......

picciolo said...

I've always wanted to try sun printing, your prints looks great! I hope you manage to find your perfect permanent home soon so that youcan feel more settled
: )

Unknown said...

Super cool! I remember doing that with my mom when I was little.

Raine K said...

Cool! I just got some sunprint paper and am planning on using it this weekend with my kids and the neighbor kids!

Ivy & Mae said...

very cool. I wonder if I could do this...where do you get sunprint paper?

My eldest would think this is pretty interesting.

parrott design studio said...

oh fun! these came out so pretty. it makes me want to do some :)

Angela said...

Jessica, you son could totally do these! If you click on the link you can order a kit from Amazon.

I think some toy stores sell them, too.

carrien said...

Hey, welcome home! Things seem long when you're not working, huh? And then once you do get back to work you long for those times when you had nothing to do! Anyway, glad you made it and hello. Carrie

Ivy & Mae said...

So I completely missed the link the first time i read this.

off to check out amazon

Unknown said...

I placed an order here: http://www.innovatoys.com/p/SNPTKL
it's kinda fun and relax.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online