Although I'm a lover of lists (which you know if you read this blog), one reason I've been avoiding resolutions this year is the miscarriage--- it really hammered home the fact that there are a few very big things I want to happen in life that will never quite be under my control. And as someone with a Type A personality, this really eats at me. One thing I'm trying to be better at--- New Year or not--- is letting go of the things that I have no true influence over.
Rather, I think 2009 will be a year to focus on slowing down, letting go, and just counting my blessings. In that spirit, my resolutions are:
- To get back to enjoying the process of crafting. I want to take a step back from "production" mode and experience more "flow." I want to slow down and just enjoy learning on my new letterpress and take on (and finish) a few personal projects. I would love to make more of my own clothes, as well as a quilt.
- To be outdoors (and away from the computer) more. We are so lucky that we moved to a place with so much open space and natural beauty. I want to take daily walks with the dogs, and hopefully some more challenging hikes and some weekend camping trips, too.
- "Only connect." I want to spend more time just hanging out--- with Billy, with family, with new friends. I also want to be better about keeping in touch with our friends who are far away but very much missed!
- Start a garden. Even if it's just a few containers on our patio, I'd like to grow some of our own food this summer. In 2008, we started composting, baking our own bread, and brewing our own beer. I'd love to grow some fresh veggies in 2009.
- Continue to practice letting go. While I think it will always be part of my personality to worry and make those to-do lists, I don't want it to dominate my life. I want to find a healthier balance between being busy and motivated, and appreciating the wonderful people and places around me.