19 May 2008

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

It's that time of year again. My all-time favorite season, when the rhubarb is ready and bitter and sweet (sort of how I feel about life right now in general).

Initially my husband, who grew up in the Southwest, didn't "get" rhubarb. "It's like weird red celery in sugar, " he'd say. But I knew it was love when he'd still bring me back rhubarb tartlets from the fancy bakery he worked at. He's coming around now.

The best kind, the ultimate really, is homemade. My grandmother sent me home with lots of fresh rhubarb yesterday and I was already looking forward to making strawberry rhubarb crisp. In fact, it's baking in the oven right now as I write this. Here's what you need:

1 pound strawberries, sliced
4-5 stalks rhubarb, cut into 1" chunks (I use lots, you might like less)
1/4 c. granulated sugar

3/4 c. rolled oats
1/2 c/ flour
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
1/2 stick of butter
dash of cinnamon
1 pinch each of nutmeg and allspice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss strawberries, rhubarb, and granulated sugar in a 9" square, ungreased baking pan. In a mixing bowl, cut all other ingredients with pastry cutter or two knives until small crumbs are formed. Pat over fruit. Bake for 25-35 minutes until bubbling and crumb top is golden. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

4 comments:

PAC said...

I love strawberry rhubarb crisp! You're making me hungry! lol!

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

mmm yum! I'll have to bookmark this.

PS- got the "Boss of You" and have started my lists! Promises to be an excellent read- thanks for the tip!

picciolo said...

mmm sounds delicious!
: )

Stick Nymph said...

This sounded so good I had to come over and check it out, yum!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online