19 April 2009

Graflex Vintage Camera


I am a complete sucker for tag sales and any sort of art/craft apparatus. So even though I do not have the faintest idea how to use it, I had to snap up this vintage camera on Saturday. It came in an amazing old case with the tripod, plates to expose the film, some expired but unexposed film, and a light meter.

The only thing I know is that it is a Graflex Speed Graphic model. It has all sorts of view finders, gears, and other bells and whistles but I'm not sure what any of them do yet. Do I need a black hood? A flash? No idea.

I did find a Graflex website and Flickr pool--- the results are so stunning! And apparently it's the same model that Weegee used. I'm hoping I can learn how to use this even though I'm still struggling with my Diana.

I'm going to continue doing more research, but if anyone has any information or advice, it would be much appreciated! It's sort of my fantasy to go camping out in rural New Mexico this summer and get all Ansel Adams on the landscape.

2 comments:

Julia said...

this camera is awesome, what a great find! i know nothing about it, but in general i've found that flickr groups for specific types of cameras can be really helpful. you can always post a discussion just saying "help! i'm a beginner! what do i do?" people are generally super helpful. and i'm sure they'd share other web resources (because there have to be some!) can't wait to see what you do with this :)

Anonymous said...

This is an Anniversary model Speed Graphic made from 1940 to 1947. If it has a spring back you probably need to use 4x5 cut film holders. I have a slightly older model Pre-Anniversary and the shutter on the lens does not work on mine, but if the shutter in the back works you can open the lens using the T setting then expose with the back shutter. Check that the bellows don't have light leaks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online