16 March 2008

Cookbook Project (Insert Snazzier Name Here)

Have I mentioned I have an insanely long commute in city traffic? Well, I do. One way I've learned to cope with said insanity is to listen to an audio book while on the drive. Currently I'm listening to Julie and Julia--- about a woman about to turn 30 who has no idea what she wants to do with her life (ahem). She has always been fascinated with her mother's copy of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking (double ahem, grandma). Needing a challenge, she embarks upon a project (chronicled in her blog) to cook all the of recipes in the cookbook in one year.

Have I also mentioned that I am sort of a recipe junkie? Well, I am. The photo above is just one shelf of the cookbooks, cooking magazines, and clipped recipes that I hoard. I even save recipes for meat dishes just because, maybe someday, I might fall off the wagon and they look really good. I've sort of gotten out of the habit of cooking lately, being busy with my "real" job and custom orders, but I really do love to cook. We're also moving in July, and the cookbook stash could stand some thinning out.

So henceforth I'm embarking on a project to cook the recipes in all of my cookbooks. It'll take longer than a year, and I better start embarking on regular exercise again as well . . . but it'll be fun. I'm starting with Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanette Lemlin, because I've already checked off quite a few in that one and they're easy during the week.

I'll let you know how it all goes!

(And yes, that is a recipe book for dog food on the shelf there.)

6 comments:

letitiah said...

whoa, ambitious! if you like one, are you allowed to cook it again, or do you have to keep on plowing through? ;)

Julia said...

oh my gosh angela! this is an ambitious project. i'll definitely be following your progress. i inherited a ton of cookbooks from my grandma- most of which are filled with recipes i will never cook (meat) but i still love filling my kitchen with them. i'm not sure that i could ever make all of the recipes in all the cookbooks i own, but i am doing a better job since one of my new years resolutions was to cook at least two meals each week (i'm doing an okay job so far). good luck!

Angela said...

Hehe. I just sat down to make my grocery list and got totally overwhelmed. Plus my husband has too many favorites I make on a regular basis. So it may not be a "project" per se. But I am definitely going back to the cookbooks!

Moonchild Dancing! said...

Wow! You've inspired me! I just may make a fresh start and go down to our local thrift store today and find a good vegetarian cookbook and get started. Have fun!

Banana-head Pancake said...

how awesome - I can't wait to see the progress reports! Do you have a plan on how to go through them or will you just open to a random page, create it and mark it done?

picciolo said...

I've read that book, Julia and Julia, I really enjoyed it. Your project is very ambitious, you'll have to show us some pictures of your creations!
: )

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online