So I've been tagged and given the "You Make My Day" award by lepetitemonstre (thanks!). It was a great surprise, because sometimes I feel like I'm posting on the interweb for a very tiny readership--- so this will be fun! So here it goes . . .
Seven Random Facts About Me
- I have extremely fine hair. During my 80s childhood, my mom decided to give my sister and I home perms for that extra-voluminous poodle look. No one explained to me that it I could no longer comb my hair with a fine-tooth comb, and I ended up yanking down hard and . . . spraining my neck! Yeah, that's right . . . I spent about 6 weeks of 5th grade wearing a huge padded neck brace because I tried to comb out my home perm.
- I have a slightly crazy and irrational fear of slugs. I know they move slow and can't do anything to me (like I said, irrational), but if I encounter a slug I will get totally frozen and weird. I think this developed when I was a nanny in the South of France--- the garden of the house I was staying it had the largest slugs I have ever seen. Once when I was carrying the baby I stepped on one and almost dropped the poor kid. Needless to say this developed fear made my trip to Portland, Oregon pretty interesting . . . they grow big slugs out there!
- I really would have a menagerie if I could. Currently my husband and I have two dogs (a Jack Russell terrier and a Rottweiler) and two spice finches. I'd really love to have a bunny (not a good mix with the terrier, I know), some chickens, some llamas, and a horse.
- I used to have a 30-pound cat named Big Mama. I took her in because I thought she was a pregnant stray. Turns out she was just a stray. Who liked to eat. A lot.
- I am low maintenance to the nth degree. I love design and art, but I cannot deal with making myself look decent. Hairdressers make me feel self-conscious, so I trim my own bangs (and far too infrequently and crookedly at that). If I "did my makeup," that means mascara, a dab of blush, and Burt's Bees lip balm. My favorite clothes are my oldest pair of Levis and my vintage Frye boots.
- I once helped make a vegan dinner for Devendra Banhart and The Arcade Fire. They were playing in Cambridge, Massachusetts and my friend had booked them. They all needed a decent vegan meal before the show. I'm a pretty decent vegetarian cook.
- I come from a huge extended family. And I do mean huge. My father is one of fourteen siblings, while my mother is one of eleven. Needless to say, I had lots and lots of cousins to play with growing up. Some summers we would rent out an entire campground on a Vermont lake and the kids would run wild. It was a blast!